It’s official, the holidays are here and it’s time to bring out the cozy sweaters and warm blankets out. But sometimes we need a little more to warm us up, maybe a glass of wine or in this case…why not Chocolate Bourbon Cupcakes? I recently asked on our Facebook page what type of cupcakes they would like to try this chilly season and many replied “alcohol infused cupcakes”. One specific person, my beautiful cousin Yissa asked for a bourbon cupcake so she could impress her Kentucky family for Thanksgiving Dinner. I mentioned that I found one, of course Yissa thought I was joking. Turns out Yissa, I did find a delicious bourbon cupcake and even better, it’s CHOCOLATE! And to make your life & baking holiday treat easier it’s Betty Crocker approved. Meaning, it doesn’t get any easier than this recipe!
Easy Maker’s Mark Bourbon Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
- 1 box Betty Crocker Super Moist devil’s food cake mix
- 1 cup of water
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup of Maker’s Mark Bourbon Whiskey
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 3/4 cup of whipping cream
- 6 oz Ghirardelli semisweet baking chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup of softened butter
- 3 tablespoons Kahlua coffee liquor
- 1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow creme (1 3/4 cups)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons of Absolut vanilla-flavored vodka
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup Kahlua coffee liquor
- Heat oven to 350 F degrees (for non stick pans or dark pans do 325 F). Spray 24 regular cupcake pan with cooking spray. Make batter as directed on the box, using cake mix, water, oil, bourbon, eggs and vanilla. Divide the batter evenly among muffin cups. (appox 2/3 full)
- Bake 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of the cupcake comes out clean. Cool cupcake pan about 10 minutes on a cooling rack. Complete cool down is about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, let’s prepare the filling, in a medium microwaveable bowl, microwave whipping creme uncovered for 1 minute and 30 seconds, until it starts to boil. Stir in remaining filling ingredients, until chocolate is melted and smooth. If you need to heat it more, microwave it for an additional 15-30 seconds until mixture is smooth. Cover, refrigerate for 1 hour or until spreading consistency.
- It’s frosting time, in a large bowl, beat marshmallow creme, 1 cup butter and vodka with electric mixer on medium speed until blended. Beat in powdered sugar until fluffy. If necessary, beat additional powdered sugar until piping consistency.
- Let’s put it together, cut the tops off each cupcake horizontally as shown on the photo above. Spread about 1 tablespoon filling onto bottom of each cupcake, add cupcake top back on. Pipe frosting on cupcake tops. Just before serving these delicious yummy chocolate cupcakes to your guests, drizzle each cupcake with 1/2 teaspoon of Kahlua coffee liquor. If you want to try something different, instead of this step, you could also pipe the filling into the cupcake for easier transporting.