These cupcakes are baked in muffin cases so that they are larger than the usual cupcakes. Once decorated, they look like miniature Christmas cakes. The addition of ground almonds gives a firm texture and adds a richness suitable for the occasion.
Christmas Cupcake Recipe
makes 16 cupcakes
- 9 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 4-6 drops almond extract
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- generous 1 cup self-rising white flour
- 1 3/4 cups ground almonds
- 1 lb/450g white ready-to-roll fondant frosting
- 2 oz/55g green ready-to-roll colored fondant frosting
- 1 oz/25g red ready-to-roll colored fondant frosting
- confectioners sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Put 16 paper muffin cases in a muffin pan.
- Put the butter, sugar, and almond extract in a bowl and beat together until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition. Add the flour and using a large metal spoon, fold it into the mixture, then fold in the ground almonds. Spoon the batter into the paper cases to half-fill them.
- Bake the cakes in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until well risen, golden brown, and firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
- When the cakes are cold, knead the white frosting until pliable, then roll out on a counter lightly dusted with confectioners sugar. Using a 2 3/4 inch plain round cutter, cut out 16 circles, rerolling the frosting as necessary. Place a circle on top of each cupcake.
- Roll out the green frosting on a counter lightly dusted with confectioners sugar. Using the palm of your hand, rub confectioners sugar into the frosting to prevent it from spotting. Using a holly leaf-shaped cutter, cut out 32 leaves, rerolling the frosting necessary. Brush each leaf with a red frosting between the palms of your hands to form 48 berries and place in the center of the leaves.