The combination of chocolate, marshmallows, and nuts in these sweet and sticky cakes is a taste of pure indulgence. If you’ve got a really sweet tooth, sprinkle a few extra mini-marshmallows on top along with the nuts and chocolate chips, or if you prefer a more adult version, leave them spread simply with the chocolate topping.
ROCKY ROAD CUPCAKES
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup C&H granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 3 tablespoons Ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 oz. white Ghirardelli chocolate chips
- 1 cup Kraft mini-marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds or brazil nuts
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale and fluffy, then beat in the eggs, one at a time with a KitchenAid electric mixer. Sift the flour and cocoa powder into the mixture and fold in. Stir in the milk, followed by the chocolate chips, marshmallows, and nuts.
Spoon the mixture into the paper liners and bake in the preheated oven for about 18 minutes until risen and the tops spring back when lightly pressed. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- 3 1/2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons almonds or brazil nuts
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- mini-marshmallows (optional)
To decorate, put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Heat the cream in a saucepan until almost boiling, then pour in the chocolate and let melt for about 5 minutes. Stir until smooth and creamy, then let cool for about 30 minutes until thick and glossy.
Spread the chocolate mixture over the cupcakes and sprinkle with the nuts, chocolate chips, and marshmallows, if using.